Would you like to introduce global leaders and social entrepreneurs to the exponential products that will help them address the world’s most pressing challenges?
As a Maker in Singularity University’s lab you’ll be developing tech experiences and providing hands-on demonstrations of exciting technologies, such as robotics, artificial intelligence, virtual/augmented reality, and 3D printing.
You’ll be responsible for creating an engaging experience, which builds excitement about technology, its possibilities and a shared vision for the future. You’ll participate in workshops and be an active guide to the learning and exploration of our clients. You’ll use our high-energy, interactive experiences to engage with visitors of all ages and backgrounds.
The Major Responsibilities:
- Delight and inspire SU program participants and SU Labs visitors.
- Perform hands-on demonstrations of technologies that are showcased in the lab and offsite locations.
- Engage with all visitors and program participants in a way that leaves them walking away with a smile on their faces and their minds racing with possibilities and questions about emerging technologies.
- Maintain current knowledge about emerging technologies.
- Build and maintain demonstrations and exhibits.
- Explore, research, recommend, build, and test new tech demonstrations.
- Maintain devices and perform upgrades and fixes as needed.
- Document technology demonstrations and train Technology Instructors and Technology Guides.
- Collect and provide input regarding visitor and program participant experiences.
Our Requirements (you must have):
- Proven experience and interest in the art of making, exploring, learning, and teaching technology.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in educational, computer lab, or shop environment, and/or product development, technical education or industrial arts education.
- Ability to get to and from multiple Singularity University sites in the Mountain View and Santa Clara areas.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule that includes evening and weekend work as needed to support lab operations and programs.
About You (we’d like it if you have):
- Excellent customer service, public speaking, and listening skills.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot problems with tech and find solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to present confidently and effectively to a large group of people.
- Experience working in a tech museum, a fablab, or a makerspace.
- Knowledge and experience building applications or coding with Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Python, Linux.
- Interest in Engineering, Industrial Design or a related field.
- Ability to stand for extended periods.
- Ability to push or lift up to 30 pounds as needed.
- Demonstrated past success working individually with minimal supervision, and collaboratively as a member of a team.
The position primary work location will be at SU headquarters, Moffett Field, CA.
The range of compensation for this role starts at $45,000 per year. Compensation will be based on the skills and experience of the applicant and the responsibilities of the role.
Why Work at Singularity University?
Singularity University is a B Corp blending for-profit structure with mission-based vision and values. We aspire to impact billions of lives globally using exponential technologies, and we see these technologies as massive opportunities for growth, innovation, and value creation. For more information, visit us at su.org.
Here are some of the benefits we offer:
- Health coverage with generous employer contributions
- A full suite of additional benefits (disability, life insurance, FSA/HSA, Employee Assistance Program, etc.).
- Equity in Singularity University for all employees.
- 401(k) plan.
- Unlimited vacation days.
- Employees have access to most Singularity on-campus workshops and learning events. We connect you (and our clients) with the greatest minds in Silicon Valley and beyond.
The following statements define who we are and what we stand for, both within our community and with our employees:
- We are creating a future of abundance that is bright, equitable and leaves no one behind.
- We are not bystanders. We act with purpose, leveraging exponential technologies to definitively solve humanity’s greatest challenges.
- We lead courageously and set an example for changing the world. We do no harm and refuse to compromise others for our own benefit. Our passion for the well-being of humanity drives our action.
- We are a community of inclusion, collaboration, and deep connection in which every individual is integral to success and the greatest ideas are often those never heard before.
- We cultivate a critical mindset that is empathetic, understanding, and respectful of all points of view. We make decisions based on evidence and logic which push boundaries and redefine possibility.
- We take Moonshots, thinking big and taking risks to solve problems and impact billions of lives. We believe that big dreams, strong collaboration, and powerful tools create an unstoppable force for good.
- Together, we can solve any challenge we encounter.
- We are exponential.