Are you interested in advancing your legal career in an organization with ambitious goals for social impact around the world?
Singularity University (SU) provides transformational learning experiences for entrepreneurs and executives, and helps them to see the opportunities in exponential technologies like artificial intelligence, digital biology, and quantum computing to address the world’s most pressing challenges.
We are looking for a senior attorney who enjoys the challenge of working in a fast paced environment to support digital product development, strategic sourcing contract negotiations, and intellectual property licensing agreements for our educational products.
The position will work directly with leaders of Digital Products, IT, Operations and key staff in our business units. By delivering crisp and clear legal counsel to all levels of executives and staff, you will help Singularity University to scale our programs and our impact on the world.
- Deliver legal support for new digital products in various stages of development.
- Prepare, review and negotiate company contracts, requests for proposals, and other legal documents.
- Identify potential challenges prior to product launch. Work with the development and business teams to resolve issues throughout the product development lifecycle. Weigh risk and probability and provide the company’s business leaders with an informed point of view and advice concerning potential actions.
- Advise business teams regarding education provider regulatory requirements and make compliance recommendations.
- Help develop initiatives consistent with SU’s goals, values, and mission.
- Help develop and implement processes designed to create both a high level of professional service and efficient delivery of service by the legal group.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive understanding of our products, services, target customers, customer journeys, and strategic priorities.
- Ensure that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Our Requirements (we need you to have):
- Minimum of 7 years’ combined law firm and in-house experience.
- Current membership in the California bar and a J.D. from an accredited law school.
About You (we’d like it if you have):
- Expertise or experience with educational product licensure regulations.
- In-house experience at an educational institution or education product focused company, including contract template drafting and negotiations with faculty, lecturers and speakers.
- Experience with the professional services industry and/or SaaS products.
- A familiarity with both B2B and B2C environments.
- Strong contract experience, including an in-depth understanding of intellectual property law and the ability to spot both legal and business issues.
- Experience being flexible and efficient in a small legal team environment.
- Enthusiasm and curiosity about technology and exceptional energy regarding the challenges of serving a dynamic, high-growth company.
- A positive outlook with a self-aware leadership style and a highly team-oriented and collaborative approach to work.
- Ability to negotiate positively and proactively with internal and external clients and close transactions quickly and efficiently.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to strike practical balance between legal risks and the need to do business.
- Meticulous attention to detail and quality of work product.
- Strong personal integrity.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly-changing environments.
- A desire to be a part of a team, and a belief that when good people genuinely support each other we can achieve great things!
The position’s primary work location will be at SU headquarters, Mountain View, CA. Local candidates only. Most employees have the option to work remotely on a regular basis.
Why Work at Singularity University?
Singularity University is a B Corp blending for-profit structure with mission-based vision and values. We aspire to impact billions of lives globally using exponential technologies, and we see these technologies as massive opportunities for growth, innovation, and value creation. For more information, visit us at su.org.
Here are some of the benefits we offer:
- Health coverage with generous employer contributions
- A full suite of additional benefits (disability, life insurance, FSA/HSA, Employee Assistance Program, etc.).
- Equity in Singularity University for all employees.
- 401(k) plan.
- Unlimited paid time off.
- Employees have access to most Singularity on-campus workshops and learning events. We connect you (and our clients) with the greatest minds in Silicon Valley and beyond.
The following statements define who we are and what we stand for, both within our community and with our employees:
- We are creating a future of abundance that is bright, equitable and leaves no one behind.
- We are not bystanders. We act with purpose, leveraging exponential technologies to definitively solve humanity’s greatest challenges.
- We lead courageously and set an example for changing the world. We do no harm and refuse to compromise others for our own benefit. Our passion for the well-being of humanity drives our action.
- We are a community of inclusion, collaboration, and deep connection in which every individual is integral to success and the greatest ideas are often those never heard before.
- We cultivate a critical mindset that is empathetic, understanding, and respectful of all points of view. We make decisions based on evidence and logic which push boundaries and redefine possibility.
- We take Moonshots, thinking big and taking risks to solve problems and impact billions of lives. We believe that big dreams, strong collaboration, and powerful tools create an unstoppable force for good.
- Together, we can solve any challenge we encounter.
- We are exponential.
Singularity University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. SU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/provincial, local law.