Singularity University is on a mission to empower a global community to solve humanity’s grand challenges using exponential technologies. As we continue to scale, we’re looking for someone to develop our internal and external communication strategy and lead its implementation.
As our Senior Director of Corporate Communications, you’ll provide leadership for building and operating an integrated strategic communications program for Singularity University. You will manage all media-related activities, act as our official spokesperson as necessary, represent Singularity University at key community events, manage critical internal and external communications, and advise the executive team on critical issues as needed in order to shape our narrative.
- Lead, plan and direct a comprehensive, integrated and strategic corporate communications program designed to increase the organization’s visibility with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop and manage a strategic executive communications program to appropriately position senior executives and the organization, through speaking engagements and presentations, internal events, earned local and national media, social media and other channels.
- Lead and execute strategy, planning, and messaging for crisis communications for internal and external audiences.
- Lead the development of strategic internal communications program and establishes communications objectives and strategies to engage and cultivate support from internal audiences.
- Lead the development and execution of communications programs that build and manage brand reputation globally and achieve identified strategic business goals.
- Effectively manage day-to-day operations of the Corporate Communications function including annual budget, vendor and other outside support relationships and resource management.
- Establish communications systems, processes, templates and channels to support consistent, effective and efficient communications; leads development, production, deployment and management of communications content.
- Facilitate internal understanding of and alignment to the brand.
- Provide proactive and reactive strategic communications counsel to Singularity University leaders and senior leadership on brand, media, and communications issues and activities.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manages media relationships to maximize coverage surrounding Singularity’s special events, public announcements, thought leadership, and other projects.
- Manage external PR agency and lead the path to expanding the corporate communications team internally.
- Provide advocacy for Singularity’s internal programs, support people initiatives, employment brand and diversity and inclusion efforts.
Reporting & Analytics
- Effectively uses data to inform strategy and applies data insights to develop and evolve communications strategy.
- Leverages market research, business plans and operational and other market data to develop communications strategies and plans designed to support business goals.
- Establishes measurement and metrics for function and sets a cadence to share program performance data with senior leadership and key stakeholders.
Our Requirements (We need you to have):
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience in Corporate Communications or similar role required.
- Experience working with global brands.
- Ability to confidently manage the needs, expectations, and emotions of diverse stakeholders (e.g. executive leadership, board of directors, investors, faculty, partners, staff, etc.) and guide us to our desire outcomes during a PR crisis situation.
- Exceptional written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Experience supporting senior executives with written communications, external events and press.
- A track record of building consensus and delivering high-impact communications initiatives.
- Proven ability to be an ambidextrous leader who can toggle seamlessly between high level strategic thinking and big picture opportunities as well as execution of multiple plans with attention to critical details.
- Passion for inspiring, creating and telling memorable stories and an appreciation for the powerful role narrative can play in creating desired outcomes.
- Must be a strategic problem-solver, an influencer with strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
About you (we’d like you to have):
- A track record of working with a growth stage company.
- Proven experience in crisis communications.
- Experience working with large communities with multiple stakeholders, and benefit corporations.
The position’s primary work location will be at SU headquarters, Mountain View, CA.
Why Work at Singularity University?
Singularity University is a B Corp blending for-profit structure with mission-based vision and values. We aspire to impact billions of lives globally using exponential technologies, and we see these technologies as massive opportunities for growth, innovation, and value creation.
Here are some of the benefits we offer:
- Health coverage with generous employer contributions.
- A full suite of additional benefits (disability, life insurance, FSA/HSA, Employee Assistance Program, etc.).
- Equity in Singularity University for all employees.
- 401(k) plan.
- Employees have access to most Singularity on-campus workshops and learning events. We connect you (and our clients) with the greatest minds in Silicon Valley and beyond.
The following statements define who we are and what we stand for, both within our community and with our employees:
- We are creating a future of abundance that is bright, equitable and leaves no one behind.
- We are not bystanders. We act with purpose, leveraging exponential technologies to definitively solve humanity’s greatest challenges.
- We lead courageously and set an example for changing the world. We do no harm and refuse to compromise others for our own benefit. Our passion for the well-being of humanity drives our action.
- We are a community of inclusion, collaboration, and deep connection in which every individual is integral to success and the greatest ideas are often those never heard before.
- We cultivate a critical mindset that is empathetic, understanding, and respectful of all points of view. We make decisions based on evidence and logic which push boundaries and redefine possibility.
- We take Moonshots, thinking big and taking risks to solve problems and impact billions of lives. We believe that big dreams, strong collaboration, and powerful tools create an unstoppable force for good.
- Together, we can solve any challenge we encounter.
- We are exponential.
At Singularity University, we are united in our common purpose to empower a diverse global community of 200,000 leaders, entrepreneurs, and inspired solvers working to tackle humanity’s most urgent challenges and achieve success in an era of unprecedented disruption. We support our community and clients through empathy and acceptance, and we are cultivating a new kind of customer hero through our innovative and transformative programs. Fulfilling our mission entails a commitment to inclusivity, diversity, and genuine acceptance. To that end, we will hire, promote, work alongside, cheer for, bond with, and warmly welcome into the SU family all persons without regard to ethnic and racial identity, indigenous heritage, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.