Would you like to collaborate closely with enterprise clients and social entrepreneurs to build products and solutions to address the world’s most pressing challenges?
Singularity University’s lab is the company’s gateway to hands-on exponential technology, pioneering intensive incubation for mission-driven entrepreneurs and corporate intrapreneurs seeking to leverage advanced technologies to address the world’s most pressing challenges.
As the Senior Maker, you’ll primarily be responsible for building solutions and writing code for solutions related to AI, robotics, and AR/VR.
You’ll be co-creating concepts and solutions to solve some of the world’s biggest problems with start-up founders, enterprise clients and internal initiatives created in our impact driven Lab. You’ll promote a culture of innovation, creativity, continuous improvement, and collaboration within the Lab.
What you’ll be doing:
Contribute to pre-sales, design and prototyping sprint meetings.
- Collaborate with SU Faculty, Enterprise, Design & Innovation and SU Ventures on providing design and prototyping services for partners and corporate clients.
- Participate in design discussions to understand prototyping and design requirements. Engage with clients to discover their requirements and offer solutions.
Design and build prototypes, displays, signage, and lab systems.
- Co-create concepts, software prototypes, physical prototypes and engineering designs.
- Write code and design systems for solutions involving Big Data, AI, Robotics and AR/VR
- Provide manufacturing and prototyping services to Lab clients and visitors.
- Document design and prototyping processes for repeatability and sharing on social media.
Contribute to the Lab’s portfolio of hands-on design, fabrication and engineering workshops.
- Lead workshops and assist other Lab staff in delivering workshops. Provide direct assistance and guidance to participants.
- Participate in Lab curriculum development meetings to update existing workshops and develop new workshops.
Contribute to the design of the Lab and the evolution of internal demo projects.
- Collaborate with Labs Manager and Senior Director of Design & Innovation Lab on prioritizing prototyping and Lab improvement tasks and choosing Lab staff to contribute to projects.
- Train and collaborate with Makers on the use of lab equipment and processes.
Collaborate with other Lab staff on creating physical prototypes and software prototypes providing guidance and feedback as well as hands-on assistance.
Our Requirements (you must have):
- A high school diploma.
- Be at least 18 years old and eligible to work in the U.S.
- At least 5 years of professional, hands-on prototyping experience.
- At least 5 years of professional design and/or engineering experience.
- Good presentation and written/spoken communication skills.
- A collaborative, positive attitude.
About You (we’d like it if you have):
- An undergraduate degree in industrial design, engineering, or related fields
- Demonstrated experience in:
- Coding languages such as Unity, C# and Python
- AI & Robotics
- Electronics and electrical systems.
- Digital and physical fabrication.
- The use of hand and power tools.
- Creating and integrating iterative and continuous improvement processes in prototyping and engineering.
- Providing direct service to customers.
- A past history of success:
- Building software solutions.
- Coding for AI, Robotics and AR/VR.
- Creating designs and physical prototypes.
- Utilizing data to influence decision-making.
- An interest in:
- Exponential technology fields: especially robotics, AI, biotechnology, VR/AR, medical devices, electronics, software engineering, and a wide variety of consumer technologies.
- Creating exciting, engaging and interesting technology demos.
- Learning about new exponential technologies.
- Testing innovative engineering and fabrication techniques and technologies.
Why Work at Singularity University?
Singularity University is a B Corp blending for-profit structure with mission-based vision and values. We aspire to impact billions of lives globally using exponential technologies, and we see these technologies as massive opportunities for growth, innovation, and value creation. For more information, visit us at su.org.
Here are some of the benefits we offer:
- Health coverage with generous employer contributions
- A full suite of additional benefits (disability, life insurance, FSA/HSA, Employee Assistance Program, etc.).
- Equity in Singularity University for all employees.
- 401(k) plan.
- Unlimited vacation days.
- Employees have access to most Singularity on-campus workshops and learning events. We connect you (and our clients) with the greatest minds in Silicon Valley and beyond
The following statements define who we are and what we stand for, both within our community and with our employees:
- We are creating a future of abundance that is bright, equitable and leaves no one behind.
- We are not bystanders. We act with purpose, leveraging exponential technologies to definitively solve humanity’s greatest challenges.
- We lead courageously and set an example for changing the world. We do no harm and refuse to compromise others for our own benefit. Our passion for the well-being of humanity drives our action.
- We are a community of inclusion, collaboration, and deep connection in which every individual is integral to success and the greatest ideas are often those never heard before.
- We cultivate a critical mindset that is empathetic, understanding, and respectful of all points of view. We make decisions based on evidence and logic which push boundaries and redefine possibility.
- We take Moonshots, thinking big and taking risks to solve problems and impact billions of lives. We believe that big dreams, strong collaboration, and powerful tools create an unstoppable force for good.
- Together, we can solve any challenge we encounter.
- We are exponential.
Singularity University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. SU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/provincial, local law.