Senior Corporate Paralegal
Job Description & Candidate Profile
About Singularity University
Singularity University (SU) is a benefit corporation based in Silicon Valley. We are a global community using exponential technologies to tackle the world’s biggest challenges. Our learning and innovation platform empowers individuals and organizations with the mindset, skillset, and network to build breakthrough solutions that leverage emerging technologies like artificial intelligence, robotics, and digital biology. With our community of entrepreneurs, corporations, development organizations, governments, investors, and academic institutions, we have the necessary ingredients to create a more abundant future for all.
The Senior Corporate Paralegal will report directly to the Head of Legal Operations and Compliance and will be responsible for the drafting, redlining, and reviewing agreements including include NDAs, MSAs, SOWs, Sales, Software/IP Licensing, Procurement, Advertising and Marketing Agreements and negotiating the same with vendors and customers.
This person is a recognized subject matter expert in commercial contract matters and provides high-quality, proactive, and cost-effective counsel and guidance to the corporation regarding all aspects of commercial transactions. This person is also the system administrator for the contract management system.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders, review, draft, and negotiate various corporate contracts, such as master services, nondisclosure, marketing, distributor and reseller, procurement, sales, and event agreements including drafting alternative clauses where necessary and escalate complex legal or factual issues to lead attorney and recommending a possible resolution.
- Own and manage the entire contract workflow process from inception to routing for electronic signatures; starting with monitoring and reviewing requests for legal services that come through the Intake Request Form; meeting with internal stakeholders to review deficiencies with form, if any and tracking the request for the legal team in Asana.
- Identify process improvements and innovations to oversight of contract process that will increase legal department efficiencies; minimize legal and business risks, reduce outside counsel costs, improve quality of service from legal department.
- Conduct training on contracting process to internal business leads
- Conduct legal research and document retrieval, as requested
- Research and assist in the choosing of the company's electronic contract database and management system; maintain legacy legal department files
- Lead special contract-related projects, as necessary. Additional responsibilities include general administrative functions within the legal department including monitoring the email@example.com inbox and owning any follow-up through completion
- Primary point of contact for trademark and patent outside counsel firm and responsible for monitoring and updating trademarks list as well as flagging infringement claims
This is a full-time, exempt position.
This is an individual contributor position with no supervisory responsibilities.
This is a remote position.
- Drafting, redlining, and reviewing commercial contracts autonomously
- Deductive reasoning and high emotional intelligence
- Recognize and resolve complex legal issues in a pragmatic manner
- Mental flexibility and adaptability to evolve with changing situations
- Ability to keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you
- Grasp creative or complex business ideas and express them clearly in a written product
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills with the ability to build consensus and work effectively with individuals at all levels and across business units
- Work under pressure and manage multiple assignments and priorities and produce high-quality work in a timely manner
- Detail-oriented, well-organized, and able to manage time efficiently.
- Maintain loyalty, discretion, and confidentiality at all times
- Deliver well organized, clear presentations in groups and in one-on-one settings.
- High computer and SaaS platforms aptitude
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
20+ plus years’ experience in a corporate environment operating with proposal writing, drafting and contract management experience;
Bachelor’s degree with 15+ years of corporate paralegal experience, including independent contract drafting, review and negotiation; or
Juris Doctorate with 10+ years of experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements in-house or law firm.
Specific Expertise or Knowledge
- Experience with data privacy law or willingness gaining data privacy certification with the first year of employment.
Singularity University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. SU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/provincial, local law.