For 10 years Singularity University has been inspiring a growing global community to leverage advanced technologies to address the world’s most pressing challenges. By 2020 we will have educated over a million people.
As we continue to scale, we are looking for a Data Architect who can lead the process of designing and developing robust, scalable solutions for collecting and analyzing data sets, and creating and maintaining data pipelines, data structures and reports.
As Data Architect, you’ll have the opportunity to accelerate our growth by developing the data model for our products and services, and ensuring that business and technology leaders are aligned behind the plan.
What you’ll be doing:
Define and lead design efforts for SU’s data model.
- Define a model that unifies our existing customer and user data from multiple sources.
- Design and architect distributed, scalable, and reliable data pipelines that consume and process data at scale.
- Provide leadership and governance of development best practices; may involve leading development teams on or offshore.
Manage SU’s cloud-based data strategy.
- Manage adherence of third-party vendors and team members to standards in securing, developing, modelling and structuring data.
- Implement and support database backups, recovery, patches and upgrades.
- Capture and analyze database activity to identify improvements in indexing, file structure, maintenance processes, and query performance.
Investigate, evaluate, test and recommend technical solutions for future systems.
- Research and provide recommendations for a database technology roadmap.
- Participate in system architecture reviews of new or existing data applications, developing guidelines and enterprise standards for data management and security.
Maintain the security of SU’s data.
- Secure data assets across the enterprise and develop and implement data security policies as required.
- Design, implement and monitor robust security techniques to safeguard data assets.
Minimum Requirements (we need you to have):
- An MS or BS in a relevant technical field.
- At least 10 years of experience designing, implementing and managing enterprise databases and data systems (Postgres, MySQL, Oracle and other cloud technologies).
- At least 3 years of experience in the areas of database/big data analytics architecture and implementation.
About you (we’d like you to have):
- Experience leading development teams and performing code reviews ensuring best practices are followed.
- Experience in cloud systems like Amazon or Heroku.
- Experience designing, implementing, supporting, and analyzing enterprise-scale database solutions that perform extract/transform/load (ETL) operations with internal and external data sources.
- Experience managing data models in tools, like Embarcadero or Erwin.
- Experience and proficiency in emerging data tools, architectures and analytics for large datasets.
- Expert level understanding of relational database concepts, dimensional database concepts and database architecture and design.
- Expertise in managing data systems in cloud environments.
- Expertise in various scripting languages.
- Expertise in designing and managing database security, encryption and authentication.
- Expertise in diverse enterprise-scale development and deployment of data analytics and business intelligence functions.
- Deep understanding of data warehouse approaches industry standards and industry best practices with very competent SQL skills for multiple platforms.
Impact & Influence:
- This is a full-time, exempt position.
- The position reports to the Director of Engineering
- This is an individual contributor position with no supervisory responsibilities.
- The position primary work location will be at SU headquarters, Moffett Field, CA or remote within the United States or Canada.
Why Work at Singularity University?
Singularity University is a B Corp blending for-profit structure with mission-based vision and values. We aspire to impact billions of lives globally using exponential technologies, and we see these technologies as massive opportunities for growth, innovation, and value creation. For more information, visit us at su.org.
Here are some of the benefits we offer:
- Health coverage with generous employer contributions
- A full suite of additional benefits (disability, life insurance, FSA/HSA, Employee Assistance Program, etc.).
- Equity in Singularity University for all employees.
- 401(k) plan.
Employees have access to most Singularity on-campus workshops and learning events. We connect you (and our clients) with the greatest minds in Silicon Valley and beyond.
The following statements define who we are and what we stand for, both within our community and with our employees:
- We are creating a future of abundance that is bright, equitable and leaves no one behind.
- We are not bystanders. We act with purpose, leveraging exponential technologies to definitively solve humanity’s greatest challenges.
- We lead courageously and set an example for changing the world. We do no harm and refuse to compromise others for our own benefit. Our passion for the well-being of humanity drives our action.
- We are a community of inclusion, collaboration, and deep connection in which every individual is integral to success and the greatest ideas are often those never heard before.
- We cultivate a critical mindset that is empathetic, understanding, and respectful of all points of view. We make decisions based on evidence and logic which push boundaries and redefine possibility.
- We take Moonshots, thinking big and taking risks to solve problems and impact billions of lives. We believe that big dreams, strong collaboration, and powerful tools create an unstoppable force for good.
- Together, we can solve any challenge we encounter.
- We are exponential.
At Singularity University, we are united in our common purpose to empower a diverse global community of 200,000 leaders, entrepreneurs, and inspired solvers working to tackle humanity’s most urgent challenges and achieve success in an era of unprecedented disruption. We support our community and clients through empathy and acceptance, and we are cultivating a new kind of customer hero through our innovative and transformative programs. Fulfilling our mission entails a commitment to inclusivity, diversity, and genuine acceptance. To that end, we will hire, promote, work alongside, cheer for, bond with, and warmly welcome into the SU family all persons without regard to ethnic and racial identity, indigenous heritage, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.