Singularity University (SU) is a benefit corporation based on NASA’s iconic research campus in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to educate, inspire, and empower leaders to apply exponential technologies to address humanity’s grand challenges. Not a traditional, degree-granting university, SU provides transformative educational programs, conferences of inspiring content, and innovative labs to incubate and accelerate corporate innovation and social impact projects.
We are building a global innovation ecosystem that includes action-oriented, tech-savvy, or tech-curious executives, entrepreneurs, corporations, governments, and academic institutions. Our innovative partnerships and startup accelerator seek to help entrepreneurs, businesses, academic institutions, investors, NGOs, and governments understand cutting-edge technologies and how to apply them to positively impact billions of people.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Social Media Marketing Consultant is a new role at SU. This individual will be in a highly visible role. You’ll help define and lead the implementation of Singularity University’s corporate social media strategy. In the process, you’ll work closely with a wide variety of stakeholders to establish, nourish, and extend our relationships with the audiences we seek to attract, engage, convert, and retain. Reporting to the Director of Marketing Communications, you’ll develop, manage, and implement all aspects of Singularity University’s corporate social media strategy across our social channels, including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, and new platforms.
Singularity University is a truly unique place that attracts a passionate following around the globe. As our Social Media Marketing Consultant, you’ll help share our mission and raise awareness of our transformative programs and offerings, by developing and then leading the execution of various campaigns through organic and paid social media channels. You’ll also determine appropriate KPIs against which we’ll measure our success, and you’ll own the monitoring and reporting on social media interactions with our brand.
You’re an ideal candidate if you’re highly motivated, passionate about all things social, and excited to help our community to create a positive impact in the world. We’re looking for someone with great depth and breadth of experience in sculpting an effective and holistic social media presence for an organization. We’re also looking for someone with the curiosity and drive to keep on top of trends and emerging tools, channels, and strategies in order to drive new growth and engagement.
This is a contract position.
- Partner with key stakeholders to refine our corporate social media strategy so that SU is highly visible and influential across our corporate social media channels:
- Partner with marketing, digital media, and analytics stakeholders to understand our social media audiences and help develop the voice of Singularity University
- Help develop methods to quantify the ROI of social media campaigns
- Help map appropriate content to appropriate channels for our customer segments, including internal and external (third party) content
- Develop and implement influencer engagement strategies
- Create and support brand storytelling initiatives
- Identify new ways for us to leverage our own existing digital content (SingularityHub.com, videos, photos, graphic assets)
- Keep our social channels stocked with compelling, engaging content, so that we’re sharing a steady stream of social goodness:
- Build and manage our social media content/production calendar
- Fulfill requests for social support as they arise, writing posts in a way that aligns with our approachable, future-focused, and optimistic brand
- Create and/or direct creation of engaging visual assets for social media
- Manage social media marketing campaigns that build interest in our products, deepen engagement with our website and drive conversions (event registrations and program application submissions)
- Help us stay ahead of the curve by monitoring trends in social media tools, applications, channels, design, and strategy and recommending new approaches for us
- Be our trusted advocate in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate and in a way that meshes with our brand and mission:
- Monitor, listen, and respond to our audiences in our voice and tone, on a daily basis, and drive community engagement according to social media best practices
- Field incoming questions, customer support inquiries, event inquiries, etc., and work with internal stakeholders to provide timely responses
- Identify threats and opportunities in user-generated content surrounding the business, reporting threats to appropriate management and capitalizing on opportunities
- Manage social media for Singularity University events and work with stakeholders to build a thoughtful strategy that creates conversations, amplifies our social presence, and appropriately promotes and positions the events:
- Attend local events and build interest and excitement via live-tweeting, Facebook Live broadcasts, behind-the-scenes access, etc.
- Work with remote partners and stakeholders to enable an effective and engaging real-time social presence across relevant channels
- Collaborate with outside PR firm on maximizing usage of event-specific social media channels that they take over as needed
- Build a robust reporting & analytics strategy that helps us monitor and improve performance:
- Establish and report on clear objectives for each channel
- Analyze campaigns and translate anecdotal or qualitative data into recommendations and plans for improving them
- Provide regular reporting and analytics to help us monitor and improve audience growth (reach), engagement (response), and ROI for program registrations (conversions)
- You have a demonstrated experience in digital marketing and in particular the design and execution of campaigns (bonus points if you can see the world through a sales enablement lens when needed)
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You have experience building creative digital experiences that engage and convert visitors
- You live and breathe social (we’ll eagerly visit your social profiles and will want to see examples of social campaigns and accounts you’ve run in the past!)
- You’ve got the mindset of an early-adopter with the practiced caution to test first and jump later
- You’ve got mad skills in the analytics department, and you’re all about data-driven decision making, supported by constant testing, optimization, analysis, and reporting
- You have in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yelp, Google+Local, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.) and how each platform can best be deployed in different scenarios
- You’re a team player with the confidence to take the lead and guide others when necessary when it comes to content development, creation and editing of content, and online reputation management
- You’re tech savvy, you know the inner-workings of social tools and platforms, and you’re technical enough to do quick hacks and interact with developers
- You’re a people person, with stellar social customer service skills—you genuinely love interacting with end-users and always leave them smiling
- You’ve got a keen ability to spot potential negative or crisis situations quickly and can apply conflict resolution principles to mitigate issues that arise with respect to social exchanges and user-generated content
- At least 3-5 years of experience managing an organization’s social media presence, with a proven track record of developing, managing, and implementing social media content, campaigns, digital tools and strategies
- Interest in or experience with content marketing and/or digital marketing
- Undergraduate degree
- Active social media participant, with a proven understanding of how to use social media tools to effectively listen, communicate, and build relationships
- Hands-on experience with online communities and social networking sites in a professional capacity, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and emerging platforms
- Deep knowledge of the relative benefits, nuances, and best practices of different social platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and YouTube
- Experience with Hootsuite, Buffer and/or other leading platforms
- Sound editorial judgment with an informed POV on content that our community will love
- Excellent written communication skills, and an ability to successfully interact directly and independently with customers and members of the community in a public forum
- Effective time and project management skills, with ability to organize and prioritize efficiently
- Highly creative and self-motivated, with strong conceptual and decision-making skills
- A passion for storytelling through multiple media types, both visual and written
Please include the following with your application: Resume, cover letter, social media portfolio highlighting campaigns you’ve run (and results), your personal Twitter and/or Instagram handle and anything else that will help us to understand your unique take on social media.
ABOUT SINGULARITY UNIVERSITY
Singularity University is a benefit corporation blending for-profit structure with mission-based vision and values. Our employee value proposition is centered around a passion to positively impact billions of lives globally in the next ten years using exponential technologies. This is why we come to work at SU.
Our cash compensation structure is a middle-ground between for-profit and nonprofit benchmarks. We also offer a collaborative work environment where you'll have access to exponential technologies and learning opportunities you just won't find anywhere else.
ABOUT YOU: JOINING THE SINGULARITY UNIVERSITY TEAM:
We are looking for bright individuals who believe the world needs an organization dedicated to addressing serious global issues by fully embracing the power and capacity of disruptive and exponentially growing technologies. We are looking for individuals who want to contribute directly to the growth and success of our programs. Our fast-paced environment requires intensive coordination and constant interaction with bright minds and the newest technologies from a variety of disciplines. We have ambitious ideas and plans and need the right people to help develop and execute them.
The following statements define who we are and what we stand for both within our community and with our employees:
We are creating a future of abundance that is bright, equitable and leaves no one behind.
We are not bystanders. We act with purpose, leveraging exponential technologies to definitively solve humanity’s greatest challenges.
We lead courageously and set an example for changing the world. We do no harm and refuse to compromise others for our own benefit. Our passion for the well-being of humanity drives our action.
We are a community of inclusion, collaboration, and deep connection in which every individual is integral to success and the greatest ideas are often those never heard before.
We cultivate a critical mindset that is empathetic, understanding, and respectful of all points of view. We make decisions based on evidence and logic which push boundaries and redefine possibility.
We take Moonshots, thinking big and taking risks to solve problems and impact billions of lives. We believe that big dreams, strong collaboration, and powerful tools create an unstoppable force for good.
Together, we can solve any challenge we encounter.
We are exponential.